CT-User

More on sending CW under OS/2 Warp

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: More on sending CW under OS/2 Warp
From: fabry@basisinc.com (Robert Fabry)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 95 23:26:01 PST
I tried an old version of PED which didn't send good code under OS/2
and it sends pretty good code under OS/2 Warp also, so I think the
change is in Warp.  I have always had more trouble copying PED at
higher speeds (40 WPM and up) than is justified by the speed alone.  I
think there is something about the way PED works that causes this.  It
is possible that above 40 WPM PED sends better code under DOS than
under OS/2 Warp.  But at lower speeds, it works fine.  One caveat:  PED
seems to calibrate the speed of your processor when you start it up.
Be sure to stop everything else before you start PED and not just
before you have PED send CW.

Also, I have not played with any of the OS/2 Warp settings.  To the
extent that there is any remaining problem, it may be able to be
reduced by adjusting these settings.  Also, I wonder if changing some
of the settings would allow other processes to be running at the same
time.

I will be interested to hear the verdict of higher speed operators on
how good the code sent by both CT and PED is when they are operated
under OS/2 Warp, but it seems to be a nice breakthrough to me.

73, Bob Fabry, N6EK, fabry@BASISinc.com

--
Submissions:              ct-user@eng.pko.dec.com
Administrative requests:  ct-user-request@eng.pko.dec.com