CT-User

Memory and CT?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Memory and CT?
From: garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net (Gary Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 22:03:49 -0500 (CDT)
I have a question concerning memory amount and how it relates to the
number of QSO's that CT can handle.  This is my situation:

        1) My desk-top computer, which is a 486DX w/8MB of RAM can
        "hold" over 45K QSO's running CT9.  This is the figure given
        in the final set-up screen, just before CT starts and also the
        same number when "memleft" is typed in a new log (No QSO's).

        2) A lap-top I've been using (486 SX w/4 MB RAM) gives only 17K or
        so QSO's at the opening screen.  I've even gone so far as to use the
        same autoexec.bat and config.sys files as the desk-top computer.
        I've also booted the lap-top "clean" with approximately the same
        results.

According to the CT manual, the capacity of CT is about 16 K QSO's per MB
of RAM.  Is something wrong here or do you find similar results with your
systems?  I would have expected QSO capacity on the laptop to be
approximately half that of the desk-top, or 22-23 K QSO's.

Please e-mail me directly, I will summarize the responses and post to the
reflector.

73,
Gary K9GS

        | Gary Schwartz  K9GS           E-Mail: garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net |
        | Society of Midwest Contesters   Packet:K9GS@WA9KEC.WI.USA.NOAM |
        | Greater Milwaukee DX Association Secretary/Treasurer           |

--
Submissions:              ct-user@eng.pko.dec.com
Administrative requests:  ct-user-request@eng.pko.dec.com