CT-User

Booting straight to DOS with Win95...

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Booting straight to DOS with Win95...
From: ATHSU@mca.com (Hsu, Aaron)
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 96 10:43:00 PDT
It's not too hard...

 * from the Win95 desktop, shell out to a DOS prompt
 * go to the root directory "CD \"
 * remove the hidden, system, read-only attributes from the file MSDOS.SYS
   "attrib -r -s -h msdos.sys"
 * edit the MSDOS.SYS file (using EDIT, NOTEPAD or any ASCII editor)
 * find the line that has "BootGUI=1" and change it to "BootGUI=0"
 * save the MSDOS.SYS file
 * restore the hidden, system, read-only attributes to the MSDOS.SYS file
   "attrib +r +s +h msdos.sys"
 * EXIT from the DOS shell
 * Shutdown and restart the system

Your computer will now start in DOS mode, process the CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT files, and put you at the famous "C:>" prompt.  From here, you
can do anything you would have normally done with older versions of DOS,
including starting Windows (95).  Just type "win".

Here's a tip/trick.  When you start Win95 this way, you can get back to the
DOS prompt after shutting down Windows (not a restart, but a shutdown).
 When the "you can now safely turn off your computer" message comes up on
your screen, type in "mode co80".  This will put the video adapter back into
text mode and you'll be back at a DOS prompt.  Better yet, create a batch
file that automatically does this for you.  The following "WIN95.BAT" file
is what I use:

  @echo off
  win
  mode co80
  cls
  echo It is now safe to turn off your computer.  On this system,
  echo type "WIN95" to restart Windows95.
  pause

This will start Win95 and when I "Shutdown", it takes me back to a DOS
prompt, puts me in text mode and clears the screen with a "shutdown"
reminder.  I do this with all the Win95 installations that I do.  You can
also make WIN95.BAT the last line in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file.  This will
automatically start you into the Win95 GUI when you turn on your system
(just like before), but it will put you at a DOS prompt when you "shutdown".
 It's great for when you make changes to your system registry or when you
install a new program that want's to restart your computer.  Just shutdown
and start Win95 again using your WIN95.BAT file.  No waiting for memory
checks, video memory checks, POST, etc.

Good luck & 73!

  - Aaron Hsu, KD6DAE
    athsu@mca.com