CT-User

[ct-user] Networking CT over long distances

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Networking CT over long distances
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (w2xx@cloud9.net)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:28:44 -0400 (EDT)
Greetings:

The WECA Field Day effort has been experimenting with networking
CT over runs >200 feet with varied success.  This year, we finally
got it all working. The trick was to use fiber optics to make
the links, using small fiber modems at the serial ports.  The
outer limits of this system are probably in the neighborhood
of 250 feet or so.

Obviously, RF won't do anything to the fiber signals, but you
need clean output for the sytem to work right.  If you have an
"RF clean" environment, high power shouldn't be an issue.  If you
attempt this with regular serial cables, I doubt you'll ever get
it to work.

K1TTT has been experimenting with an ethernet TSR for CT that
allows regular network hardware (ethernet/coax) to run.  I am
not sure how he is progressing with that project.

73, J.P. W2XX

J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)
E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net

As we say in the software business:  "You are hosed."

WWW:                      http://www.ve7tcp.ampr.org/Software/ct
Questions:                owner-ct-user@ve7tcp.ampr.org