CT-User

[ct-user] CT device driver

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT device driver
From: Mike Walker <mwalker@geronimo.legato.com> (Mike Walker)
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 09:51:59 -0500
I would have to agree with Joe.

We run a contest station that is out in the woods (so to speak).  When we
first started, we gathered all the computers from the home stations and
spend the day packing and unpacking, wiring, testing ... etc (tough to do
when you have to use snowshoes to get in during WPX.

We now have several 386's with vga monitors that are there full time.  They
are networked together (we will be testing the ethernet setup soon).  There
is a place for a full blown NT/Win 95/ OS/2 system, but not during a large
MM or MS operation.  Programs like DX4WIN etc are great for that at the
home qth where the environment is stable.  About once a contest, we blow
the main breaker and have never lost a contact running CT.  Even the DVP
card functions on the 386 - 33.

If you would like Geoclock running or HFX, bring your pentium Laptop and
place it beside.

My 2 cents worth (Canadian)

Off soapbox...Mike VA3MW

At 04:30 PM 03/11/97 -0800, Dio wrote:
>OK...
>
>Here we have a really simple problem... An application that runs under
>MSdos. What a concept! An application that runs in a 1Mb address space
>and runs really well on a '386 with plain vanilla hardware.
>
>I know, we've all got fancy Pentium systems running 200Mhz and 64Mb of
>RAM and 2.5Gb hard drives and CDROMs and soundcards and it's used for
>browsing the web and email and balancing the checkbook and playing games
>that run 100's of times faster on a SEGA  or NINTENDO or WHATEVER and
>doing everything the computer salesperson promised it would. PHEW!
>
>But all you wanna do is run your contest software. A 386/486 and DOS.
>People throw these away. Simple, recycled old computers in metal cases.
>Some of us probably still have ASR33's in the shack...maybe not.
>
>--joe "no I didn't forget the KISS principle" carvalho
>
>--KE6WEO
>
>--
>Submissions:              ct-user@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  ct-user-REQUEST@contesting.com
>WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/ct/
>Questions:                owner-ct-user@contesting.com

Michael K. Walker                   Legato Systems (Canada) Inc.
Escalation Management                     3390 South Service Road
(905) 637-4738                                    Burlington, ON
http://www.legato.com                                    L7N 3J5
pager:  1480111@pagemart.net