CT-User

[ct-user] CT and the NET

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT and the NET
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@berkshire.net> (David Robbins)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 20:18:34 +0000
Stavros A. Tsiakkouris wrote:

> I would appreciate it if anybody could tell me how to telnet to an on-line
> packetcluster using CT.

there are 2 ways, first if you have a spare computer running win95 or
nt you can get my wintelnetx program and create a bridge between
your ct machine and the packetcluster on telnet.  this method would
let you connect to multiple telnet clusters and use other internet
features at the same time.

the other way is:

check to see if your internet connection provider has a 'shell'
account available.  this is an often overlooked way of making
cheap internet connections to ct that requires nothing other than
a modem.  if your internet provider has a 'shell' account option
and has the program called 'telnet' installed then proceed as
follows:

1. set up an internal or external modem on a com port, start ct
and set it up like there is an external tnc on the com port where
the modem is.
2. start ct and open the packet window.
3. assuming the modem is 'hayes' compatible you should be able to send
modem command direct to the modem.  the dial command is normally
something like "ATDT 123-456-7890".  dial up the internet shell
account number.
4. login to the shell account with your account name and password.
5. when you get the prompt type  'telnet gate.wu3v.net' or whatever
other internet cluster you want to get to
6. login and you are all set.  you can use the com port to setup
a normal ct serial network.

--
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)
k1ttt@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net