CT-User

[ct-user] I need your help this time with CT and Win95

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] I need your help this time with CT and Win95
From: Doug Brandon <dab@kaiwan.com> (Doug Brandon)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 23:14:37 -0800
>I am running Win95 and I understand there's something I can add to one of
>the .INI files so that the computer will always boot to a DOS prompt from a
>power-up instead of starting windows.  I don't want to have to boot full
>Win95 and shutdown to a DOS prompt during the contest every time CT crashes
>(CT never crashes, does it?).
>
>What is this magic change?

In the root directory, modify the file MSDOS.SYS.  Don't worry, its a text
file.  The second line in the file should say "BootGUI=1" which means run
Windows 95.  Just change the 1 to a 0 and it will always come up in MSDOS
mode (without long filename support).  This file has special attributes set
(System, Hidden, ReadOnly) which you'll have to undo and then reset.  So do
this:

ATTRIB -R -S -H C:\MSDOS.SYS
EDIT MSDOS.SYS (do BootGUI=0 and save)
ATTRIB +R +S +H C:\MSDOS.SYS