CT-User

[ct-user] Help - CW Keying Problem with TS570

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Help - CW Keying Problem with TS570
From: John Loftus" <John_Loftus@vettweb.net.au (John Loftus)
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:13:43 +1000
Hi to all CW ops using Kenwood TS570,

Has anyone managed to operate a TS570 with CT keying via the parallel port
and simultaneous radio control via the serial port?

This setup works fine on my TS850, but a new TS570 produces erratic keying -
missing dits almost at random. The problem is most pronounced at the
beginning of a transmission, and almost disappears after a few seconds of
continuous transmission. The problem is evident when transmitting at any
power level (5W or 100W). After many hours of diagnosis, I suspect the
problem is within the TS570.

I can get the TS570 to key perfectly under any of the following mutually
independant conditions.

1. When not transmitting (i.e. just listening to the CW monitor).
2. When transmitting without the serial radio control connection.
3. When transmitting with the paddles to key the TS570 internal keyer.

The apparent relationship with the serial control connection is hard to
understand because there is no loss of data, at any stage, via the serial
radio control. I have installed a new serial cable with RF filters on each
wire - but there was no improvement to the keying problem.

Has anyone found a solution to a similar problem?

Regards,

John Loftus VK4EMM

John_Loftus@vettweb.net.au