CT-User

[ct-user] Radio timeout errors

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Radio timeout errors
From: Healy, Rus" <RHealy@mdsroc.com (Healy, Rus)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:04:40 -0500
CT polls the radio and reads the frequency regularly. I deduce from
operating with my TS-850S and TS-690S that the radio doesn't answer the
poll when the tuning knob is being turned. Therefore, CT issues the
infamous "RADIO TIMEOUT" message. It very consistently happens when you
are turning the knob, and not at all otherwise. It has nothing to do
with RTS/CTS handshaking, which is not a mystery or a black art--it's
simply not required with Kenwood radios, unless you're using a radio
interface that requires it. The rigs themselves don't care about
RTS/CTS.

For some reason the problem is worse yet on the TS-950SDX, since these
messages also pop up when you're not turning the tuning knob.

Ken: How about not issuing the RADIO TIMEOUT message unless the radio
has failed to answer five consecutive polls or some other number you
choose (ie, zero means you never get the message, any other integer up
to some reasonable limit sets radio retries before the TIMEOUT message),
like a SCADA environment? This seems to make more sense than sending it
every time.

Geez--maybe you already do this with a fixed counter. I'll have to get
out the protocol analyzer and watch what's happening between the radio
and computer!

--73, Rus, K2UA (ex NJ2L)

Rus Healy
Senior Systems Engineer, Microwave Data Systems
Web: http://www.microwavedata.com
Tel +1-716-242-9600