CT-User

[ct-user] Kenwood TS-870S Digital Voice Recorder

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Kenwood TS-870S Digital Voice Recorder
From: Marrotte_Roger <marrotteRE@csd.npt.nuwc.navy.mil> (Marrotte_Roger)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:58:37 -0500
Thanks to all for responding to my message concerning utilizing the 4
message buttons on the TS-870 with CT. Some spoke about an interface between
a parallel port on the computer and an accessory jack on the back of the
radio, taking advantage of the DVP function in CT.  Others spoke of a hand
held controller with buttons for each message that plugs into the same
accessory jack of the radio.

Well I decided to actually look at the manual for the radio!  It sure looks
like there are commands that can be sent to the radio over the serial port
to initiate the sending of one of the 4 messages.  This is the same radio to
computer connection already in use to control the band, frequency, etc.

Wouldn't it be nice if CT took advantage of this (no extra hardware
required).  I don't know if any other radios have this capability.

Anyhow thanks again for the responses. For now I'll either shout into the
mike or look for the small buttons on the radio.

Roger, W1EM