CT-User

[ct-user] Memory Problem

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Memory Problem
From: Alan Harp <k4pb@mindspring.com> (Alan Harp)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:07:04 -0500
I have been using an IBM CL57 PS2 laptop for CT for years.  It has a 386
processor with coprocessor and 10 meg of memory.  It runs on DOS 6.2 and
has Windows 3.1

During SS there was a power glitch and it crashed.  The batteries didn't
have enough power to keep it running.

So not being able to replace the batteries yet I decided to use another
newer laptop I had for CQWW.  This is a Toshiba  Satillite 225CDS that I
bought to run Delorme programs.

It has a pentium processor, windows 95 and 16 meg of memory.

I tried booting from a dos diskette but had some problems so I brought
up Windows and rebooted in the dos mode.  Everything seemed to work and
the contest started.

On Sunday afternoon at 512 QSOs it crashed with a message out of
memory.  I took the programmers approach, push it back to the top of the
hill and see if it happens again.  I reloaded it.  Said I had memory for
another 700Qs.  I started running again but the partial check window
running with the master.dta file only worked part of the time.  At 555
Qs it crashed again but wouldn't reload.  Error messages indicated
memory problems again.

So I copied the .BIN file to a diskette and went back to the trusty
386.  Had it up and running in 20 minutes.  It carried me through to the
end with no problem.  The start up window said I had memory enough for
thousands of Qs. (I seldom make 500).

So what did I do wrong with the pentium laptop?  Did I forget to set
some magic memory alocation or something?

I'm gonna hang on to that 386 they don't make em like that anymore!

Alan K4PB