CT-User

[ct-user] Problem with CT

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Problem with CT
From: Bob Walker <N4CU@amsat.org> (Bob Walker)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 18:07:34 -0500
I am a casual contester.  I usually only participate in Field Day
where I captain one of our stations.  I usually type the logs into
Excel for Duping.

Our club, Motorola, W4MOT, bought CT and I familiarized myself with it
on the ARRL 10M contest this weekend.  I probably did not make over 20
contacts but I had every intention to submit the log.

I saved by typing "quit" several times over Saturday and Sunday
morning with no trouble.  Then I typed "savelog".  I got an error
something like "sector cannot be found error reading drive A".  The
.bin file no longer contained any callsigns.  All the contacts were
gone.  I could not recover.  Scandisk found no disk problems.  If I
were running from the HD to the floppy rather than totally from the
floppy, there would be no problem.

According to the manual, savelog results in a file named contest.sav.
This would not conflict with a pre-existing contest.bin.  However, it
seems to save in contest.bin.  Since I have a contest.bin file open,
there is: 1. A conflict with the manual 2. A potential to lose your
log..

Is this a bug or is it a "learn from experience"?

This, by the way, was not the only way I found to lose a contact.  If
you have typed in a contact and the program thinks you are on are out
of band, you have to erase the contact to type in the frequency.  If
you did not copy the contact information, it is lost.  Whenever I
re-entered CT, it thought I was on 14000 and if I did not type 28050,
I'd lose the contact information.

I am not signed up for the reflector if anyone cares to reply, please
use n4cu@amsat.org

Regards, Bob, N4CU