CT-User

[ct-user] CT and PK-900

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT and PK-900
From: Mike Walker <mwalker@interlog.com> (Mike Walker)
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 14:10:15 -0500
At 12:05 PM 3/6/00 , Joe Stepansky wrote:

>I know it's late for this, but does anyone have experience using the AEA
>PK-900 for packet on CT.
>
>For some reason, I simply can't get the sucker to go into Converse mode.
>Here's what happens:
>
>The PK-900 normally works with PcPakratt for Windows, and runs in Command
>mode.  But CT needs Converse mode.  I've tried setting Converse mode from
>Packratt, but the Converse indicator goes on for a millisecond and the 900
>goes back to command mode.
>
>So I go into CT, and open the Packet window.  I turn the PK-900 off, and
>turn it back off with the Reset button pressed.  Sure enough, it tells me to
>start the autobaud routine by pressing *.  I press * once, nothing.  Twice,
>nothing.  But I know that CT is seeing the 900, I just can't send anything
>to it.

Wait a minute....

Where is your battery backup?  It should not be autobauding.

>I've tried both 8N1 and 7E1 settings with no luck.  I'm using 1200 baud, no
>luck.
>
>OK, that's where I'm at.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Or does anyone
>have a "script" I can follow to get CT and the 900 to play well together?

I've used mine many times...

1)  Increase the baud rate to 9600 or even 19200.
2)  Make sure that the baud rates on CT and the PK900 match (N,8,1 or 7,E,1)
3)  Make sure that the PK900 is in command mode (ie:  cmd: prompts)

At this point, CT is nothing more than a terminal program.  It could even talk
to a phone modem if you had to.  If  you are unsure, use an old DOS program
like ProComm or Xtalk to talk directly to the PK-900.  Again, make sure you
have the cmd: type prompts.

With CT, you should be able to hit enter and see  cmd:

Now, issue your connects:

c cluster
sh/dx
etc...

Once connected, the PK900 should go into converse mode on its own.

Let us know how you make out.

Mike

Mike Walker VA3MW
Corbeil Contest Club