CT-User

[ct-user] CT versus WRITELOG

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT versus WRITELOG
From: Rob Kennedy" <amtor@hotmail.com (Rob Kennedy)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:11:34 -0500
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your EMAIL.  Also thank you to all the other HAMS on this
reflector who sent  EMAILS directly to me expressing their opinions on CT
and Writelog.

The consensus appears to be that WRITELOG is the program to use for RTTY and
PSK31 contests.  But for SSB and CW, most of the EMAILS I received appear to
favour CT.  Even though it is a DOS program, it is more intuitive and easier
to use in CW and SSB contests than WRITELOG.

It is too bad that CT does not let one modify existing contests or define
new contests.  I understand that with WRITELOG, you can add new contests or
modify existing ones but you need to be a C programmer.  What a pain!

There is another alternative.  I used Logic 5.2 for Windows during the ARRL
SSB DX contest.  It lets anyone to modify existing contests when the rules
change or define new contests quite easily.  You don't need to be a C
programmer.  It is very flexible.  It is surprisingly easy to add new or
modify contests.  You can easily define the multiplier rules, bonus points,
QSO points etc.

Logic scores the contest as you work each station.

My only big complaint with Logic 5.2 for Windows is that it is still a
little unstable.  It crashed once during the contest.  It did not like PY0FF
call.  It may be just a corrupted prefix table (Logic's equivalent to CT's
country file).   I have asked the folks at Personal Data Applications to
confirm whether it was simply a corrupted prefix table.  But one crash is
enough during a SSB contest!

Logic 5.2 for Windows could also improve its reporting of needed multipliers
etc.  CT is much better in this regard.

73's

Rob

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>