CT-User

[ct-user] CT9.60

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT9.60
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@berkshire.net> (David Robbins)
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:22:21 +0100
the broadcast is actually a decent way to do it given the limitations of the ct
network protocol.  there needs to be some way to update a station's computer
that has crashed, especially in setups where you could use the same band on
different computers.  since there is no ack, and no way for any computer to even
know what other computers are on the network that is about the only way to do
it.

unfortunately there are some bugs that do occasionally corrupt the numbers which
causes the problems we have seen.

the biggest improvement has been saving the sent serial number with the qso.
before that there were real problems if you got computers out of sync since it
was only the order of the qso's in the logs that determined the number printed
in the log file... this made it very hard to merge or fix numbers after the
contest.  as long as contest sponsors don't penalize for sending numbers out of
order or sending the same number to two stations it shouldn't be a problem.

reserving a number when you start typing is not a good idea.  consider the
common case  in a m/s of having a run station and another station just listening
on another band finding multipliers before switching bands... if the second
station types in a call with no intention of working him that should not reserve
the serial number.  it used to be in ct that when you hit insert to send the
report it would broadcast to the network that the number was used, i don't know
if that still works or not since i haven't done operations like that for a
while.  even in that case you could get out of sync if you ended up not
finishing the qso, the number would be reserved by the second station until he
actually worked someone.

--
David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto://k1ttt@berkshire.net