CT-User

[ct-user] Running CT-9.67 under Windows

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Running CT-9.67 under Windows
From: jallen@vhfcom.com (John Allen)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:24:36 -0500
A couple more notes on multiple OS's, from a Windows 2000 (NT 5) point of
view -

If you have Win95/98 or DOS on a system and you start the 2000 CDROM, it
will automatically set up a dual boot if you want or it will install over
the old Win 98 OS (not DOS)  and copy the old Win 98 registry into it's Win
2K registry.

So, if you install the older OS first, Win 2000 takes care of the dual boot.

If you want to overinstall from 95 to 2000 you should upgrade to 98 first or
use the dual  boot feature)  caveat emptor.

Don't ask me about Win ME or XP -- I won't be getting near either of them if
I can help it.
But, given that XP is sort of NT 5.5 ish, It is likely that the dual
boot/upgrade features work like Win 2K.

NOTE:  All Win2K upgrade notes above assume that your file system is FAT32.

Hope this helps some folk.

PS: I think that there are ways other than buying Partition Magic to add a
DOS boot to a Win 2K or XP system.  A web search might turn something up.

John K1AE

http://www.powerquest.com
) makes this very easy.

Why trust your hard-earned contest QSOs to something as complicated as
Windows?
CT has logged hundreds of thousands of QSOs running under plain DOS.  Most
of
the problems that occur are user-oriented, not operating system oriented.
Windows throws a huge complicating factor into the mix.

73 - Jim AD1C

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com