CT-User

[ct-user] DXPN & VHF Contest file merging

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] DXPN & VHF Contest file merging
From: k2kw@prodigy.net (KEN SILVERMAN)
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:02:24 -0800
When I was in Jamaica last month, I had (the not so bright idea) of starting
to log my 6m QSOs in a BIN file set up for the VHF contest so I could log
Grid Squares.  When the rate got
going (which was often), most did not send their grid squares, so I had to
enter a dummy grid square (I used AA00), since you MUST enter a grid square
in the VHF contest to log the QSO.  Well, after running at 150-200/hr on 6m,
entering dummy grids got old fast.

So I started another 6m BIN file set up as DXpedition logging (DXPN).  No
problem mon (so I think).   In total, I ended up with 6 different BIN
files...  some are VHF contest BINs, and some are DXPN BINs.  (yeah, I know,
I know... usually I have only 1 BIN for my entire operation, but there were
other computer problems etc..)

Now back at home,  I want to merge the BIN files, but I find that the two
files cannot be properly merged.  Sure they "merge", but the band
information gets messed up when the VHF log is converted to DXPN.  VHF
contest files report Bands, such as "50", and DXPN reports the Frequency,
such as "50110".  When you try and convert the VHF log to DXPN, it appears
that the DXPN log interpolates the "50" band entry as 1800 (160m).

Is there any logical way to merge these two different formats?  Or will this
be a long process of changing the VHF log to DXPN, and then going line by
line to change the band to 6m?

Thanks,

Kenny K2KW