CT-User

[ct-user] Upgrade computer strategy

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Upgrade computer strategy
From: wc4h at itis.net (Carl Herrera - WC4H)
Date: Tue Aug 5 21:11:27 2003
I think you mean Citrix.  Actually, Citrix was originally developed by an
IBMer that was involved in the OS/2 development (now there's an OS).  They
chose the Windows GUI over the OS/2 GUI because it was more well known (at
that time it was the Windows 3.1 GUI).

OS/2 was originally a joint effort between IBM and MS. So I don't know who
stole from whom but it does not change what XP Pro is and what it can do.

The use of Terminal Services is that a computer can be accessed remotely and
securely. One can work on it as if sitting at the remote site.  I use it
daily and so do several of my clients.  It also has Virtual Private
Networking built into the system so if your router can't handle VPN, the
server can.

Furthermore, an NT server (2000 or 2003) running Terminal Services can
provide a remote Desktop to multiple users.  Each with individual access and
rights.  So what's the use of this?  Well, I have a client who employs a
number of people that do not come into the office.  They need access to some
programs on the server and a desktop in the office.  They get their PC at
home and get their own office Desktop as if they had their own PC in the
office.  This is no small matter since the employer does not have to buy a
PC for each one of these people.

Undoubtedly XP Pro will evolve as NT Workstation evolved to 2000 Pro and
2000 to XP Pro, but to say that they don't have it quite right is not
exactly on the mark.  XP Pro, with updates applied, is rock solid, versatile
and reliable.  Many of the issues repeatedly discussed in this mailing list
are simply solved by XP users.

I don't know if you have yet realized that CT development is really centered
around 2000 and XP now.

As for DVP, it is no longer the only solution of it's kind.  There are
several programs that use a sound card interface to accomplish the same
thing for a much lower cost.  N1MM with a sound card interface comes to mind
as a DVP substitute.  For contests where the report does not change, you can
use either the recorder found on many modern rigs or a voice keyer like the
MFJ-434.  I certainly hope that CT will add the option to use a sound card
interface but if it doesn't it doesn't.  Both CT and N1MM are free so I use
the one best suited for the particular contest and am happy.

I guess that the point is that if you are going to upgrade, upgrading to an
obsolete OS (yes 95 & 98 are obsolete), then it's not worth the effort.

Oh well.  I'm never popular in these reflectors for never having liked DOS
and for admitting that if I can do it with a GUI, I don't want to use a
command prompt.  Popular or not, hams, specially contesters need to realize
that DOS is pretty much gone and support for it is even more gone.  Ditto
for Windows 95 & 98 (SE around the corner).

Footnote: Windows ME was a total disaster and does not even merit
discussion.

73
Carl