CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CT Networking

To: "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@comcast.net>, <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CT Networking
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:58:54 -0500
At 11/15/2005 08:51 PM, Ted Bryant wrote:
>I am trying to network CT-dos and CT-win over ethernet. I have a network card
>(3Com 3c905B-txnm)
>installed in the dos pc.  The dos packet driver appears to load ok and K1TTT's
>NETTSR also appears
>to load as well.
>
>After loading these and trying to ping from the win pc, the ping times out
>with no response. In
>addition the dos pc appears to lock up. It will not accept any keyboard
>commands and I have to
>re-boot.  The "dos" pc is actually a Win98SE machine which I've booted to a
>dos command prompt on
>startup. (could this be the problem?) The win pc is my dedicated "radio" pc
>which is connected to
>the network and is performing normally.
>
>The network router is a Belkin BEL1KQW cable/DSL/wireless with a built-in
>4-port hub. I've tried
>this with DHCP on and off with no difference.
>
>Suggestions? Advice? HELP!?

I think you probably have done most everything correct.  As far as DHCP goes,
that will work fine for the Windows computer, but you have to specify the IP
address in the DOS computer.  Make sure it is available and on the same subnet.
 I don't believe that the NETTSR will respond to a ping.  In fact, that may
have caused it to lock up.  I am not sure about that.  You have to specify the
COM port that the NETTSR emulates and then use the SETUP command to make sure
that CT is looking for the network on that port.  Another way to do this is to
use a DOS TCP stack.  This was available years ago when people actually tried
to network Win3.1 PCs.  By loading a real stack, you can use Ping and FTP, etc.
  I have networked a Windows CT and DOS CT over ethernet using both methods.