CT-User

Re: [ct-user] ADIF CONTEST_ID field - what to do?

To: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, ct-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] ADIF CONTEST_ID field - what to do?
From: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:16:19 -0500
Jim:
This sounds FB to me.

I would prefer to not to have any <CONTEST_ID> embedded in record.
So your example #1 would fit my needs, just use C2A in the usual manner.
Like "C2A 10M05.BIN" or "C2A RACWIN05.BIN" and just get a plain ADIF file.

I'm using LOGic 7 which allows the user to enter a <CONTEST_ID> ONLY IF
it's not included in the ADIF Record when you do an ADIF Import.
LOGic and is set for an 8 character <CONTEST_ID> and anything more is
truncated if it is included in the ADIF Record.

Next, using your example #2 of <CONTEST_ID:30>2005 ARRL 160 METER CONTEST CW,
it bloat the ADIF file by 40 Kb per 1000 QSO's. In the case of LOGic 7,
it would end up being "2005 ARR" after being truncated

Also, as far as I know the ADIF Standard does not define any "Standard
CONTEST_ID's. Therefor what you pick for your standard, will be non-standard
for other users. I don't think we want to get involved in forming another ADIF
sub-committee.

Example #3 would be useable, but is an extra step for me, but maybe not for
others depending on what they logging program requires and the ID schemes.

Lastly, LoTW does not require or use the <CONTEST_ID> field.

C2A always worked great as is. I'm all for you proposal, so I'll be using
the Example #1 command line.

TNX es 73
Bob, K1VU