CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CT DOS Users Check your Log times for WPX

To: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>,Ed Parish K1EP <k1ep@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CT DOS Users Check your Log times for WPX
From: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:37:02 -0400
At 07:36 3/27/2007, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>At 11:48 PM 3/25/2007, R Johnson wrote:
>
>>After using CT DOS V10 for the CQ WPX contest I found all of my times were
>>off  by +1 Hour.
>>I checked CT WIN and it was logging the correct time, just a problem with CT
>>DOS.
>
>This is an interesting situation.

Very interesting for the "Dark Ages" of the DOS OP System !!!

>My understanding is that DOS gets time from the BIOS.  I doubt any BIOS or DOS
>have been patched with the new DST rules.

After doing a little research, "DOS TIME" was based on GMT only, thus the need
to include
the Time Variable "SET TZ= EST?EDT" (or whatever your offset is/was) !!!

>If your computer is set to local time, you probably have a TZ variable defined
>somewhere:
>  setenv TZ=EST5EDT

Yes it was !!!

>I'll bet that doesn't work between March 11 and April 1 (the "traditional"
>start of DST in the US).

That's my guess also, I'm waiting to see how things play out !!! Obversely I'll
be doubly
checking CT's time vs GMT for the next few weeks !!!

>My guess is that during the 3 earlier and (?) later weeks of DST, you will
>need to change this to:
>
>  setenv TZ=EST4EDT

I did that after I was aware of the of the problem and it fixed it !!! Used
EST4EDT !!!

>Now what happens on the CQWW Phone weekend, where time traditionally changed,
>is anyone's guess.

Guess I'll have to watch  for that TEST, but I usually conk out before the
change over !!!

>As Bob noted, CTWIN gets its time from Windows, and it is correct (I just
>checked, my PC is set to
>local time).

Makes sense after thinking about how MICROSOFT handled time between DOS and
WINDOWS>

>I think you're best off setting your DOS PC to GMT and using CT with no TZ
>variable.

Nope, I can live with it the way I used CT for almost 20 years (Old GEEZER
speaking) !!!

>As to correcting existing logs, make sure you have the right "flavor" of
>CT_TIME, there are
>different versions for CT9 and CT10, and for running in an MS-DOS prompt under
>Windows,
>vs. running under real DOS.

Hence the next problem to be addressed. Things don't seem to work wright with
CT_TIME.

I'll have to get back to you with the results of my tests !!!

>73 - Jim AD1C

73 Bob, K1VU