CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CT and clocking under Windows XP

To: ct-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CT and clocking under Windows XP
From: Richard <w3rj@ptd.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:08:58 -0500
 From Bob, N6TV, this is the solution to and explanation for my CT clock
slip issue.  Thank you very much Bob.

    W3RJ - Since you say CT9 bin files are compatible between the DOS
    and WIN versions of CT, I could try CTWIN9.

N6TV -  Yes, please try that first.

    W3RJ - However, under both Microsoft Win98 and WinXP OSs I do run
    the DOS application under windows.  The task bar clock always shows
    the correct time proving that my actual hardware knows the correct
    time.  However the clock being displayed by the CT program and being
    used to time stamp my log continuously loses time with respect to
    the displayed Windows clock when the OS is WinXP.

N6TV - That's quite understandable because when DOS programs run under
WindowsXP the operating system "emulate" the hardware clock, because
programs aren't allowed to talk to it directly (as they are under DOS
and Win98).  If I recall correctly, the DOS version of CT reads the
hardware clock once at start-up, does a rough estimate of CPU speed,
then estimates the time after that.  CTWin should read the Windows clock
so they will always be in synch.

      W3RJ - It never did this while I was using Win98 on an older, less
    powerful, slower motherboard.

N6TV - Win98 is very different than WinXP (it is really more like DOS),
so that is why you are seeing a difference.  I think under Win98 there
is no hardware clock emulator, but under WinXP, there is.

In sum, just try CTWin 9 and everything should be working fine (except,
no K1EA DVP support under WinXP).

73,
Bob, N6TV