CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CT buffer overflow

To: CT-User@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CT buffer overflow
From: Augie Hansen <augie.hansen@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:37:44 -0600
I have the answer to my own question.
> Using the latest character mode CT for Windows in the ARRL VHF QSO Party
> I encountered a buffer overflow and program termination after keying in
> the callsign SM0KQM/W6 and hitting the space bar. I worked around this
> problem by just keying in the SM0KQM call without the /W6 and adding a
> note that he is operating from W6-land.
>
> What will I need to do come time to process the log post contest? Will
> simply editing the Cabrillo file suffice, or will that cause an error
> checking error of some kind?

After the contest I saved backups of everything just in case. Then while
in CT I edited the callsign field with no ill effect. Apparently the
input buffer overflows on long callsigns when that field is exited by
tabbing or spacing, but a saved record with a shorter callsign can be
edited. Inconvenient in the heat of battle, but at least there's a way
around the problem.

Gus Hansen
KB0YH