CT-User

Re: [ct-user] autosave

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] autosave
From: "Dan Karg" <d.karg@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:31:09 -0600
 Depending on how you want to do it there are 2 ways of making this work. I
have not tried either way recently however.

I'm assuming you want to back up to maybe a flash drive or a removable hard
drive (usb device). This should work to any device.

1. Make the removable device the A: drive.
    Using these instructions change the letter of the drive in question to

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307844

2. Using the SUBST.EXE command make a virtual A: drive in a directory on the
other removable drive.
    Example:
    Assuming the removable drive is F:
    Make a directory on the F: drive (any name) I used "adrive"
    C:\> mkdir f:\adrive

    Use the subst.exe command to point make a virtual drive
    C:\> subst a: f:\adrive

    This will now give you an A: drive that points to the directory on the
f: drive.
    C:\> dir a:
     Volume in drive A is FLASH
     Volume Serial Number is C8CA-B605

      Directory of A:\

      12/18/2009  08:19 PM    <DIR>          .
      12/18/2009  08:19 PM    <DIR>          ..
       06/20/2006  09:19 AM           359,309 fileonf.tst
               1 File(s)        359,309 bytes
               2 Dir(s)     849,313,792 bytes free

    To remove this substitution
    C:\> subst a: /d