CT-User

Re: [ct-user] Is CT development dead?

To: ct-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] Is CT development dead?
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 23:48:45 -0400
I can't speak for Ken, but he's here in Dayton this weekend.  He said, half
jokingly, that he's not even sure if he still remembers how to recompile the
program.  If you're waiting for him to make enhancements, well, don't hold
your breath.

As far as releasing the source code, all I can say is that I'm a
professional programmer, and I got a brief look at the CT source code once.
Maintaining or porting all that C++ code it is not going to be an easy task
for anyone.  It's hard enough for Ken to do it.  It really tied to DOS and
it's not going to be easy to port it to Linux, MacOS, or anything else.
Even the Windows version (CTWin) only runs in "character mode."

By far the best solution for unhappy CT users is to migrate to Win-Test,
since the interface is basically a copy of CT.  I used CT for years, but I'm
a 100% Win-Test user right now (except for most state QSO parties, which
Win-Test does not support).  I use N1MM in the CQP, but Win-Test for
everything else.

You can try the demo version of Win-Test for free:

http://download.win-test.com/v4/demo/

I'll be happy to answer any questions about Win-Test, but please use the
Win-Test Reflector, not the CT Reflector.  More info on subscribing to the
Win-Test reflector may be found here:

http://www.win-test.com/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=1720

73,
Bob, N6TV