CT-User

Re: [ct-user] Sending CW using new computer

To: allan1@dejazzd.com, CT Reflector <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] Sending CW using new computer
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:36:32 -0700
 Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:55 AM, <allan1@dejazzd.com> wrote:

> I have been using CT for my contests for many years.  I have used the cw
> sending option by using LPT 1 and attaching the output of my printer port
> to my hand key.
>
> I have had to get a new computer (it was about 10 years old) and it only
> has usb port,s no printer ports.

I assume it also runs Windows XP or Windows 7, not DOS, and that it has no
serial ports either.

You will have to switch to CTWin or Win-Test (http://www.win-test.com), as
CT will not run well under Windows.

> I would like to use the CW sender on CT again for contests, but I am lost
> since the program only lists com and lpt ports which I don't have on the
> new computer.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as how I do this?

Instead of an LPT port keying circuit, you may have to switch to a COM port
(serial port) keying circuit (as shown in the CT manual), and use a good
quality USB-to-Serial adapter, such as the
Keyspan<http://www.amazon.com/Keyspan-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports-Sequence/dp/B0000VYJRY>.
 Avoid alternative USB-to-Serial adapters based in the "Prolific" chip set;
they are not realiable.

Most reliable would be a PCI-Express parallel
port<http://www.amazon.com/Best-Connectivity-SD-PEX10005-PCI-Express-Parallel/dp/B003D3MFHC>card
(for a desktop computer), or a Syba
Expresscard<http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Connectivity-ExpressCard-Parallel-SD-EXP50021/dp/B002TLT982>(for
a notebook computer with an ExpressCard slot).  Either of these would
allow you to use your old LPT port keying circuit with CTWin under Windows.

If you have an Elecraft K3 transceiver, no keying circuit is required (it
is built in to the radio's COM port).

73,
Bob, N6TV