CT-User

Re: [ct-user] Sending CW / SSB using a new computer

To: CT Reflector <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] Sending CW / SSB using a new computer
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:31:36 -0700
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Robert Shohet <kq2m@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am thinking of changing from my Dos based computers to
> using either a Win XP or Win 7 computer.
>
> What would you recommend to use for CW keying from the keyboard?

CTWin sends excellent CW under Windows via the LPT port, same as CT under
DOS.  CTWin runs well under Windows XP.  Maybe some on this list are
currently using CTWin under Windows 7 (I haven't tried it, and I no longer
use CT or CTWin).

> Would Version of CT would you need to use?

CTWin 10.04.001 or CTWin 9.92.001.

What would you recommend for Voice Keying since a DVP wouldn't be
> functional?

CT and CTWin support external DVK activation via LPT pins, so any external
voice keyer supporting those LPT pins should work.  See

http://www.k1ea.com/hints/lpt.htm
http://www.k1ea.com/hints/voice.htm

However, "DVK Stop" doesn't seem to be supported via any documented pin
(some software uses Pin 2), so pressing Escape may not halt the DVK
playback.

73,
Bob, N6TV