CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CT-Win and Win7

To: David Boland <w9nwy@yahoo.com>, CT Reflector <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CT-Win and Win7
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:13:26 -0700
I don't know of anyone who has CTWin working well under Windows 7.  CT is
no longer supported.

I think K1ZM/VY2ZM tried at one time, but it crashed.  W6HH reports he has
CT (not CTWin) working OK using DOSBox v 0.74 under Windows 7 32-bit, but I
don't know if he tried LPT port CW keying.

Your best bet is to stick with Windows XP.  Otherwise if you really want to
upgrade to Windows 7, consider upgrading your contest software to something
better, such as Win-Test, which is more compatible with CT than the
alternatives (and it even uses the same color scheme).

http://www.win-test.com

On the other hand, using a Windows sound card as a voice keyer has problems
under Windows 7, with all contest software.  Windows 7 introduces an
unacceptable delay in the mic. monitor.  You can get a sound card to play
back messages OK, but live "on the fly" updates are difficult to do because
of the latency in the monitor when recording a new message.  That's a
another reason to keep Windows XP in the shack, and use Windows 7 elsewhere.

73,
Bob, N6TV