[Karlnet] NDIS Driver Installation - This sucks!

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: [Karlnet] NDIS Driver Installation - This sucks!
From: "Bill Fisher" <fisher@akorn.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:42:49 -0400
I'm trying to install the NDIS drivers for an Orinoco card on my notebook.
When Win2K first loaded, it detected the card and installed a driver for it.
I next followed the instructions in the INSTALL.txt file that comes with the
driver.

1) I uninstalled the driver for the card.
2) Reboot
3) Tried to install the driver.  Said I had an incorrect driver version.

Looked around on the Karlnet web site for information on NDIS driver
installation.  The only thing I found suggested that I needed to remove all
of the NDIS driver DLLs that are in the /winnt hierarchy.

4) Did a search for 'wv' and deleted all files in the /winnt area.
5) Did a search for '48' and deleted all files in the /winnt area.
6) Rebooted the computer.
7) Tried to install the driver again.  Again I get incorrect version.
8) Started over with #4.  Only this time I notice that every time I delete
wvlan48.dll from the /winnt/system32/drivers directory... it magically shows
up again a few seconds later.

The instructions state that the "found new hardware" wizard should start
when I restart Windows if I have deleted all of the files.  It doesn't.  I
can't seem to delete this wvlan48.dll file successfully.  Any help?

Bill