RE: [Karlnet] Point-Coordinator function of 802.11

To: karlnet@WISPNotes.com
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Point-Coordinator function of 802.11
From: John Tully <tully@mikrotik.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:15:20 +0300
Hello,

802.11 has a function called "Point-Coordinator function" or PCF. It is not completely implemented in Prism Firmware yet, but it should be quite fast polling. When prism supports it, we [Mikrotik] will add support to our AP software for it.

If you have bandwidth shaping on your clients -- routers at the client site as well as NOC or AP, the possibility of one site hogging the network capacity is eliminated. I don't have test to prove this, but I think this will show higher total throughput than Turbocell.

Any comments.

John
Mikrotik.com

At 04:06 PM 6/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>What are the specific advantages to using Karlnet?

polling over CSMA/CA as your MAC control algorithm

see attached

for more info - search the archives of the isp-wireless list and look for
polling, CSMA/CA, my name - and you'll see some pretty heated discussions
b/n BreezeCom and I over the advantages/disadvantages of KarlNet

or call - 866-751-7357

-Charles