[Karlnet] Output power on PRISM 2.5 100mW card (Demarc) slowly declining

To: <equipment-l@wisp-equipment.net>
Subject: [Karlnet] Output power on PRISM 2.5 100mW card (Demarc) slowly declining (I think)
From: "Norm Young" <npyoung@applegatebroadband.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 12:11:40 -0700
Anyone noticing a decline in output power on the PRISM 2.5 100mW card Tony's
been selling?  I've had two of those cards installed in a AP-1000  since
6/22 running KN 4.x and have noticed a significant drop in output power
reported by my remotes over the last 30 days.  From about -6dB on both the
PtP and PtMP link, with commonalities being the antenna mast (checked
alignment already), AP-1000, and of course the radios themselves.    Checked
the radios, and they do seem to be running pretty hot.

I'm wondering if this signal strength drop (xmit power) is an artifact of
the heat?  Another possiblity is lightning discharge...we had a storm last
night, and I think the last step drop may have been around the same sort of
circumstances.  No direct hits (I think), but some discharge is possible.
No reboot of the AP-1000 was observed, and I'd think that a discharge big
enough to damage radios would have rebooted the AP.

Norm