[Karlnet] Latency Monster

To: <karlnet@wispnotes.com>
Subject: [Karlnet] Latency Monster
From: "Travis Brown" <travis@netwaveva.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:03:55 -0400

Ok, anyone seen this one?

I have a customer (an apartment complex) with 20 users and 1 Mbit subscription. It seems that, on occasion, someone on the site decides to do IP port scanning or another may open peer-to-peer software (Kaaza and the like) with WAY too many download sessions, and my latency on the tower site that services this customer goes off the scale. Pings to the tower base show normal times, but ALL of the customers off of that base get hammered (i.e., 3 second pings).

When I choke off that customer's bandwidth at the boundary router, the systemic latency stops.

Is this expected? Is it preventable?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Travis