Re: [Karlnet] 4.27

To: karlnet@WISPNotes.com
Subject: Re: [Karlnet] 4.27
From: Chris Conn <cconn@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:47:35 -0400
Rob Trout wrote:
Could I get some feedback on 4.27? What is everyone's experience so far?

Hello,

We have had no problems on the AP-1000 in our bridge setups. We have not tried yet to use it to route on the AP-1000. The polling seems much superior to 4.02, and overall throughput seems smoother. All our former 4.02 bases are now on 4.27 without any apparent hitches. WEP finally works with the Prism2.5 wireless cards too, and a problem I reported to Karlnet that they never agreed existed is solved on the ethernet port of the AP-1000 as well.

We have also tried it on the RG-derived platform but have downgraded back to 4.02 where we are routing, since the preferred-IP shown in traceroutes/icmp messages is the one from the closest interface to the request, and not the one configured in the software. This causes cosmetic problems, however it is quite bothersome. We are using a significant number of IANA 192.168.xxx.xxx IPs to number the wireless interfaces, and these IPs never showed up until 4.27 in any packet transfers visible to clients.

My only complaints are the preferred IP issue, as well as the fact it still uses 7.52 Orinoco tertiary firmware instead of the newer 8.10 (which includes a semi-useful feature, WEPPlus). You may still be able to crack the WEP keys eventually, but it just makes it harder and longer to do.

Chris