RE: [Karlnet] 3.88 polling will not work over 13 clients

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] 3.88 polling will not work over 13 clients
From: "Charles Chia Sheng Wu" <cwu@cwlab.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 07:54:21 -0600
the problem is is that not all AP-1000s were created equal

older APs have a BNC connector w/ a 10BaseT jack
newer APs have a RS-232 port w/ a 100BaseT jack

if you've got an older AP-1000 - you've got a x486 processor (basically, the
same processor power as an RG), so *upgrading* from your RG to the AP won't
really do you much good

if you've got a newer AP, life is much better...

Case in Point:

A customer w/ 12 clients recently swapped out a *new* AP-1000 for an older
COR-1100 b/c of a mysterience carrier sense error detected on the AP-1000 -
although T1 is not being heavily utilized, max throughput for end users
drops from 1.4Mb (he's got a T1), to approximately 700k - a few phone calls
later (after which I've been thoroughly thrashed)...we *finally* discover
that he's running the old x486 COR-1100 as the Base - switch back to the AP
w/ new 4.2x code...users are happily humming at 1.4 Mb again...

-Charles