Re: [Karlnet] Status of new hardware

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] Status of new hardware
From: "Bob Hrbek" <bhrbek@jagwireless.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:34:10 -0600
Well, if you plan on using the karlnet devices to perform routing the
network should be planned out ahead of time and given room for growth.  I
spent most of my time planning the infrastructure at each pop and not so
much time on the IP/network side.  I built my first site totally bridged,
with the intention of routing and actually configured my clients and things
appropriately.  However, as I added additional sites and started adding
static routes.....I realized I had created a monster.  I went back to the
drawing board and tested and implemented RIP and OSPF at my three main
sites.

I HAD to do it this way because everytime you add a static route to a
Karlnet AP, you have to reboot the darn thing for it to take effect.  This
knocks it off the air for about 30 seconds.  Oops...made a mistake...?
well..fix and reboot.  Stir and repeat.

Anticipating where your network is going to grow, leaving room for growth
and understanding routing are pretty important things upfront.  It wasn't
that I didn't understand what needed to be done...it was that I was one
guy...building 4 sites....and doing installs....and building CPE's....and
documenting things so I'd remember what I did the previous day...etc.

I had to do it on my own to realize that I should have just paid somebody to
come help for a few days.  A little bit of knowledge goes a long ways.  If
you think you need somebody to come give you some help or even some
pointers...let me know.  I've made some good friends since I started this
thing.  Many of them are very good at what they do and what they do is build
wireless networks

-Bob