[Karlnet] Radius server

To: karlnet@wispnotes.com
Subject: [Karlnet] Radius server
From: "[Lumiad] Riny Heijdendael" <riny@lumiad.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:54:19 +0200
Hi there,

I would like to know if you guys could advise me on an issue that
keeps troubling me.

We have a custom developed back-end package that uses an access-
database to do customer billing.  An ODBC interface is available. We
are planning
to migrate this stuff to SQLserver.

We would like to set up a radius server to control authentication and
accounting for the karlnet clients. Setting the service level
(i.e. maximum data transmit rate) per client is one of the other
things we would like to manage with this.

As for now we considered some radius servers to deal with this, for
now all windows based, namely VOP-radius
(www.vircom.com) and Steel Belt
radius server, as well as RadiusNT by IEA Software.

But until now I only managed to get  the basic authentication to work
with Vircom,  not to speak about the more advanced stuff like traffic
shaping.

My questions:

[1] What radius server did you implement? Which one would you advise?

[2] Could somebody me provide with karlnet specific configuration
files?

[3] Do you advise to account directly into the datasource or handle
it by importing the data in the backend?

One tip at last: there is a little PHP script that can handle radius
authentication if you would like to use the same authentication for
some restricted access on your website for your webclients.
You can find it on http://www.mavetju.org/programming/php.php

Thanks for your help!

==> Riny Heijdendael
=> riny at lumiad dot nl