RE: [Karlnet] AP-1000 loses one radio interface

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] AP-1000 loses one radio interface
From: Thomas Giger TGC <thomas.giger@tgc.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:22:39 +0100
In the past, we have had 2 symptoms that need to be differentiated:

1) A radio interface completely stops sending (keeps receiving). This not
only happened at CORs, also at the CPEs. The solution was to swap the card,
as its radio TX amplifier was suffering a temporary black-out.

2) On some CORs (some of them actually running plain 802.11a AP mode with
Lucent 3.x firmware) one or two satellites would (but not all!) would be
lost. We were lucky enough to be able to inspect this from the CPE side in
one case and found that, again, traffic was passing one way - i.e. ARP
requests were coming in and OSPF multicasts, but the ARP response was not
getting back via the COR.

While issue #2 seems similar to #1, it must be different for a couple of
reasons that we observed:

** #2 can be solved by a reboot command to the AP/COR, #1 cannot. This
matches your description.

** In issue #2, the AP/COR looses one or two out of several CPEs. So if it
can talk to the rest, it cannot be its radio TX amplifier.

** If the the AP/COR loses two CPEs simultaneously (sometimes it does!), it
cannot be the CPE radios either.

We therefore concluded this may be a scan packet arriving from the public
internet (the management addresses of our APs/CORs are public and were
publically reachable). We then blocked the AP/COR's IP addresses at the
border routers and this helped immediately.

So, if you can match your symptoms to issue #2 and your COR has a public
reachable IP address, block it, I would recommend.

No, unfortunately, we have not been able to trace what kind of packet could
cause this partial confusion of the AP/COR. And note that neither issue #1
nor #2 are  specific to newer Karlnet versions. #1 is a pure hardware
problem, #2 is also present in pre-4.x firmware.

--
true global communications GmbH
Thomas Giger