Re: [Karlnet] tech question

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] tech question
From: Roger Boggs <rogerboggs@att.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:04:22 -0500
I sure seems like it would be normal....

If one of your satellite's antennas is not aimed properly, it will likely have very poor signal strength.
If its signal strength is low, the base station is going to spend an extraordinarily long time on that
unit trasmitting and repeatedly retransmitting the same data over and over to that satellite in order to
get it through. If it can't get the data through, the base is going to have to take the extra time to
drop it from the poll loop. All this while the other remotes wait to be serviced.

If I remember correctly, the TurboCell base will try 10 times to get the data through before declaring
that "it's tired of trying" and drop it.

And since the signal strength is poor, but not poor enough to keep the base from hearing it occasionally,
the base is going to spend some extra time every now and then trying to re-establish communications
with this weak satellite.

And until you get the antenna re-aimed and decent signal strength re-established, the whole cycle
of retransmissions/failed transmissions/drop from poll/try the poll again will keep on going at the
expense of all the other satellites in the network having to wait for this to occur.