[Karlnet] OT-linksys, please help

Subject: [Karlnet] OT-linksys, please help
From: LaRoy McCann <lmccann@roachconveyors.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:39:46 -0600
Hi all,
I apologize if this is too far off topic but...
I have been fighting this problem for several weeks now and don't have may hairs left to pull out.

A local wireless company stopped their wireless operation as of the first of the year. I took over several of their customers. I replaced their electronics with my stuff running kalrnet. I used their existing amps and antennas.

All is working well except for one customer. At this location I installed a flashrom satellite unit I had laying around. Signal strength looks find at 74% SNR or 28 dBm SNR. The wireless part seems to work fine. My whole wireless system is bridged, not routed. I even have come back and put in a dedicated point to point link from my tower to the customer to try to eliminate any problems from the other base and KN-50's that I have.

The problem is that after my wireless part I have a linksys 4-port router. This is the same type of router used by the other wireless company. The router will lock up and require a power cycle to make it work again. It then works great. I tried another linksys router that I had, same but with the 2.4 wireless interface (disabled), and it would work find and then lock up. The period of time between lockups seems to vary, anywhere from 5 minutes to half a day. But mostly now 5 to 10 minutes. They have never had to reboot the wireless unit.

I am sure I set the internal ip address to the same as the old linksys router even double checking with the list of address the customer had on file. The only odd thing about it is the ip's they are using internally are registered ip's. The network is 11.101.1 which shows to be registered to the DOD. Could this be the problem even if the router is doing NAT?

I talked to the other wireless company and they said that when they put the system in it was setup for 192.168.1 network. They were not routing any address to this customer for internal use. The customer can not tell my when or why it was changed. I was going to change everything, but they have one server running AIX. I am real familiar with Linux, but AIX is a little different and it is a critical server so I did not persue changing the ip's.

I have even come in and put a switch after my wireless box and the linksys router, added a second linksys router off of the wireless box with a 192.168.1 network and tied this to one of their pc's leaving the rest of their network on the 11.101.1 network. The 192.168 address has worked very well compared to the other but still requires a power cycle every couple of days or so.

I was also told that even with the old wireless provider they had to power cycle their linksys router every 2 or 3 days, but not every 5 to 10 minutes.

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated !!!!

LaRoy.
---