[Karlnet] SEC Load Issues & need help

Subject: [Karlnet] SEC Load Issues & need help
From: "Ian Hastie-Linkit" <ian@linkit.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:12:53 +1300
Sorry for the length of this e-mail but we need some help,

I have a few RG AP+ setup an running under 4.02, 4.31 loads and am having
two issues which dont work very well.

ISSUE 1 concerns WEP not all being equal
ISSUE 2 concerns our fallback to setting up 802.11b MAC authentification
minimum.

I have just spent some more time on site checking Rev 4.44 and WSU states
and if the WEP worked it wouldnt be an issue at all as outlined below:

I have two AP+'s and three RG SEC clients so I could mix and match to test
configs.

Current Setup
RG1 AP+ Rev 4.44: 11M silver card WSU 8.10, Closed Network, Deny non
encrypted data, WEP Key ASCII "abcde"
RG2 AP+ Rev 4.43: 11M silver card WSU 8.10, Closed Network, Deny non
encrypted data, WEP Key ASCII "abcdf"

Both AP's have the same Network name One uses Chnl 6 the other Chnl 10.

RGSEC1: 11M silver card WSU 8.10, Netname, WEP Key ASCII "abcde"
RGSEC2: 11M silver card WSU 8.10, Netname, WEP Key ASCII "abcde"

RGSEC1: 11M silver card WSU 8.10, Netname, WEP Key ASCII "abcdf" Doesnt work

History
Units installed off RG1 AP with Rev 4.02 for 18 months now all fine and OK
without WEP enabled

Some trees have been growing into the path so a couple of weeks ago we
installed the second RG2 AP+ and sought to implement static WEP keys in the
clients.

WEP Problem encountered.
1) We setup RG2 AP+ and established a connection with WEP "abcdf" to RGSEC1
OK.
2) RGSEC2 however will not connect through to the wired side of the LAN.
Both RGSEC's can see both AP+'s. SNR steady at 18-20dB so its not an RF
issue

We tried
i) Changing the WEP from abcde to abcdf and it work to RG2AP every time but
not RG1AP
ii) Turned off WEP in RG1AP and it connected through.
iii) Checked the Rev and WSU state of all of the RG's to the same level.
iv) swapped out the radio card in the RGSEC2 no change, checked WSU 810 in
the Silver card OK
v) Upgraded the RGSEC2 from 4.02 to SEC v4.44 No change and RGSEC1 still
worked OK.
vi) checked the AP+ settings are the same in both AP's. OK

Note the New RGSECv4.44 LKF would not load into the v4.44 Bin file. Reported
Error in file. Ended up puttling in the original 4.00 key for the device and
it went in OK. Strange

Access Control Issues
OK so we will have to think about this and in the mean time fall back to
enabling MAC access controll in the AP. Wrong

1) Enable EAC & Put the radio card mac add of RGSEC1 into the 802.11b EAC
table
2) COuld see the AP but not pass data through to the wired side.
3) Turned off EAC and it goes through OK.
4) Tried it in both AP's and its the same.
5) Read the manaual and it advises that we need Legacy Access Controll but
this is Greyed out and not an options.

So how are we supposed to do it then?

Gathered as much info as we could and now off site thinking about how to
make it work with WEP to either RGAP+.

Any bright idea's appreciated

Regards
Ian Hastie