RE: [Karlnet] MAC security on v3.8x

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] MAC security on v3.8x
From: "Charles Chia Sheng Wu" <cwu@cwlab.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:21:26 -0600
>I have recently taken over management of a TurboCell network made up of
>about 8 POP sites.

cool

>The Turbocell loads on the AP's range are v3.83, v3.88, v4.02 & v4.43k.

well..v4.02 & 4.43 can be upgraded to the latest...v 3.x, you'll probably
want to purchase upgrade keys

>I have worked out how MAC security [Turbocell Access List] works on the
>v4.xx AP, but cannot see it on v3.8x AP's.

it didn't work right

>Was this feature implemented in the earlier software ?

kind of

>Also, all our CPE are RG1000 with SR4000 or SR4200 loads running as bridges
>with NAT firewalls behind them.

ok

>We would like to start using the KN-50 CPE.

you're setup is perfect for the KN-50 (especially our $250 all integrated
KN-50 unit <g>)

>Is anyone aware of problems connecting KN50 to these AP's ?

in v3, if you were a TC Base (SA-350), you''re screwed...since you'll need
to run in ISP-Base mode...
if you had a TC-ISP-Base (SA-400) - you should be ok

>Do I need to upgrade the AP software first ?

it's probably a good thing to upgrade though...

>And final question, if I upload newer software into a CPE or AP, is the
>configuration overwritten ?

if done correctly, no

>I realise I could try this and see, but I have a very limited number of
>spares at the moment and don't want to risk breaking anything.

np...contact me offlist for more info

-Charles