[Karlnet] Amplification and SNR

To: Karlnet@WISPNotes.com
Subject: [Karlnet] Amplification and SNR
From: KSM <wifiengineer@telsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:56:57 -0500
Heres a random off topic question (as stated before, I lack any other
good known WISP mailing lists... suggestions?)

Anyone have good/bad luck with 1 watt 2.4 amplification and picking up
too much noise from local stuff?  Kinda of seems like six in one hand/
half a dozen in the other.  I have done the math, and it would take a
really low noise floor to allow some of the shots i deal with, at least
in relation to their strengths now. That and without amplifictaion, half
of my tower based APs would be even more useless due to obstructions
than they are now.  My only gripe?  Amps are 350 a piece (last time I
checked), and judging by the box I have in back from the previous
architect 1 year ago, they either *fail* alot or I need to invest in a
good tester.