Re: [Karlnet] lightening strikes 3 times !!!

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] lightening strikes 3 times !!!
From: "Steve Loomis" <loomiss@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:46:42 -0500
>From my experience of 30+ years in the 2way radio/paging industry, you are
on the right track putting the ground wire to the top of the tower. I
suspect rusty joints more than the paint.  Check out "Cadweld" at your
electrical distributor.  This is a means of attaching the ground wires to
your ground rods that won't corrode over time.  You can bury the ground rods
completely this way and not be a trip hazard. We install #2 stranded copper
wire to the top of many of our towers for this same purpose and have not had
a problem since.

Maybe you are already doing this, but a coax surge suppressor at the radio
box entrance/exit is good, plus a good quality AC line protector and a cat5
protector.  Basically every in/out of the equipment box should have some
measure of protection.  If every piece of equipment is bonded to each other,
when a lightning surge happens, every piece of equipment will raise and fall
with the surge voltage. If there is no difference in potential between
devices, there cannot be any current flow between them.  No current flow, no
damage.

Steve Loomis
Vroomwireless Inc.
Stillwater, OK