[Karlnet] Re: virus at customer site hoses entire AP, any ideas?

To: "karlnet-request@WISPNotes.com" <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: [Karlnet] Re: virus at customer site hoses entire AP, any ideas?
From: "Evgeny N. Ananyev" <ansy@nm.ru>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:59:18 +0500
  Hi, karlnet users!

4 feb 2005 at 22:01:25 you wrote:

>> Yeah, but you can't deny 1 customer w/o explicitly allowing all
>> others....unless I'm missing something on the mac list setup.

We add allowed radios only into TurboCell Access List and give
them some piece of bandwidth. All others are prohibited by default.

Another effective way is to lock the bandwith in clients' KN-50.
First of all, trojan/virus jams local radiobridge, and may be
even lock it out -- but not entire wireless network. Client will
feel his' bandwidth degradation and take antivirus measures.

Of course, we have 512kbit/s and more speedy clients, so if we
discover infected one, we temporarily low his' KN-50 down to
32kbit/s until he'll get healthy. On the other hand, client's
still getting some service for his urgent needs...

But the best way is to have ISP-controlled firewalling device
on clients' site just after the radio (Linux, FreeBSD box & SSH
to it, may be some advanced top-boxes) -- for ISP-customised
firewalling and smart traffic shaping. Let's every device do
its' own special work.

--
W/best, Evgeny Ananyev
WISP SysAdmin @ INTERCOM LLC, Russia