[Karlnet] need some advice: interference? equip prob? I'm dyin' here

To: karlnet@dayton.akorn.net
Subject: [Karlnet] need some advice: interference? equip prob? I'm dyin' here
From: David Dietrich <david@countrysky.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:53:28 -0600
If you have insight or advice, please reply or cc directly to me, I
think the list server config is somewhat horked...

I'm a small shop so far, a little over 40 subscribers.  I was cruising
along nicely with few problems with Turbocell. I had the occasional
retrans loop-n-freeze we've all seen, but that was only an occasional
annoyance. Things went pretty well for my first 6 months.

Then, about a month ago I started having spells of horrible latency on
one of my sectors. They come usually at high traffic times, but
sometimes at low traffic times. As small as I am, high traffic isn't
even half of my T1. I monitor with some cool tools, SmokePing/RRDTool.
These bad spells can last over an hour and latency is ridiculous, 1
second plus. Along with latency is partial packet loss. These spells
happen every day. Some observations and info.

- no weather events near beginning of the probs
- I've replace the radio card
- I think cables/connections are all ok
- things work great during off hours
- link tests show fluctuation of ap signal, 10 dbm drops at times
- noise on both sides ok, doesn't move much
- at least 25% retrans on all clients, even the closest CPE's
- power is ok, just added a newer better on-line UPS

I figured it must be interference, I've done some surveys, nothing of
note yet. I know the other WISPS in the area, we've all compared
notes, no probs in freq selection. No one else is having the same
probs (there's really only one other 2.4 WISP that overlaps the
majority of my territory). I turned off polling, that posed other
probs and chaos, so I turned it back on.

Now to add to my insanity, another sector started showing these
symptoms about a week ago. I'm wondering if it isn't one of those cell
tower 2.4 microwave links or something like that.

Anyone had this type of situation in the past? Any advice? I'm getting
to the point that I feel guilty billing for the last month.

Thxs - David