NA-User

My Omni VI and My '486 Aren't Speaking

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: My Omni VI and My '486 Aren't Speaking
From: jholly@hposl62.cup.hp.com (Jim Hollenback)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 15:36:46 -0700
On Jun 15,  6:26pm, BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com wrote:
> Subject: My Omni VI and My '486 Aren't Speaking
> This msg x-posted contest refl & na-user refl
>
> HALP!
>
> Appliance operator seeks your savy CONTESTOR expertise in resolving the
> following:
>
> I am stepping into the 90's and asking my digital xcvr to talk and share
> frequency info with my computer.
>
> Hdwe/Sftwe: Omni VI/'486/NA v10.0 Software
>
> Step 1) Purchased NA10.0 and W1GEE interface cable from K3LR at LTA Booth
> last month.
>
> Step 2) Ran W1GEE program that came with the interface cable.
>
> Step 3) W1GEE program says that the port I thought was Comm 2 is Comm 1. By
> shorting the far end of the interface plug and running W1GEE's program
> telling it I was hooked up to Comm 2 nothing happened, on a whim I tell the
> program its comm 1 and voila it acknowledges me. So, I guess that socket is
> Comm 1. Already I am toasted.
>
> Step 4) I assume that it is actually Comm 1 on the '486 that will be
> interfacing with the Omni VI, and I tell "Config" I have an ICOM 735 (even
> tho its an Omni VI - that's what the manual sez to tell it) and I tell it
> that it is Comm 1 @ 9600 baud. I tell "Equipment" that I have a radio "1",
> and I turn the Omni VI "CDE" to ON and tell it to run @ 9600 baud....here's
> what happens:
>
> Nothin (positive anyways)
>
> The Omni VFO locks - it won't budge, the NA software won't change bands. The
> software will call CQ and log callsigns, but when you Alt/F1 or Alt/F2 it
> don't go up or down a band.
>
> Obviously the two are NOT in agreement as to what's going on.
>
> If I shut off the "Equipment" Radio 1 on NA the software will manually change
> bands again, but the Omni VI is still locked up (I think its pissed off there
> is another microprocessor in my life). If I do a Master Reset of the Omni VI
> and turn the "CDE" to "off" it is manually tunable again.
>
> I have tried re-booting the computer, changing just about any of the software
> switches, but I get the feeling there is something I am forgetting to do.
>
> I tried telling the software it was actually Comm 2 (like I really thought in
> the first place) and the behaviour is the same with the vfo locking on the
> rig and the software not wanting to change bands.
>
> Using Alt-F to show what frequency things are on displays 14.000 so it
> definately appears no info is being exchanged between the two boxes.
>
> I am truly an appliance operator and when you get two digital beasts
> confronting me the only thing I know to do is:
>
> Scream For Help On The Reflectors!
>
> Sound like a familiar problem? I knew I should have gone to W3LPL's party.
>
> Pse es tnx

Welcome to the world of OMNI's and computers. I a short sentence, the OMNI
compuer interface is brain damaged. Ten-Tec will not admit it, and will
tell you that all is fine. From my experience any thing over 1200 baud
makes the OMNI lockup and do wierd things. Also, changing things like
baud rate on the OMNI requires a power cycle for it to take effect. My OMNI
likes to demonstrate it disatisfaction by causing the main tuning knob to
lock at 0.85 kHz per turn ... really puts the S in S&P. But the thing that
really makes it interesting is CT will truck along at 9600 baud without a
wimper. K1EA got something figured out. By the way, the Icom you chose
depends on the addr you set the OMNI to. IC735 is right for the default
addr of 4.

73, Jim, WA6SDM
jholly@cup.hp.com

--