NA-User

[na-user] Re: Features

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Re: Features
From: Rich Dailey, KA8OKH" <ka8okh@SOM-UKY.CAMPUS.MCI.NET (Rich Dailey, KA8OKH)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 23:48:16 -0500
My $.02 on the various features being discussed -

50 line VGA - Well,  I use monochrome monitors on both logging boxes...
less distracting during the contest.  Even when I did use vga,  50 line (as
is implemented in CT) was hard to read for a whole weekend (and my
vision is pretty good!).

Movable/resizable Windows - would be nice.  I would change the packet
monitor/talk window, and the bandmap (see below).  BUT, if it means
shredding thru a lot of code,  I'd leave sleeping bugs lie.  It's not that
important (to me, anyway).

Mouse - hated it.  Ctrl-gozinta works for me.

Edit Comments - Never used it.  I save my comments for the summary
sheet *after* the contest.

Band Map - The one thing I wish it had was some sort of visual cue that
was tied to the incoming freq data, like a right arrow, square block, or
something.  When I look at the bandmap, I'm asking "who might this guy
be?".  That requires 2 steps... look at the rig display, and match it to
the freq somewhere in the list.  A visual aid would reduce it to just glancing
at the screen.  How about keeping the spots fixed on the screen, and
moving an indicator up and down with the freq data?  Comments?

RADIOTEST - Very nice troubleshooting command.  Could this be
written up as a standalone utility?  Also would be nice to have
the following commands -
MORECOFFEE / NOMORECOFFEE
AUTOCHECKLUNCH
CLOSETHEDOOR
NOSLEEP (might require chair w/ rs232 & additional comm port)

cheers... rich

Rich Dailey - KA8OKH <ka8okh@som-uky.campus.mci.net>
qrp-l #933

--