NA-User

[na-user] Re: CW control with NA

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Re: CW control with NA
From: dap14@chrysler.com (dap14@chrysler.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 07:53:34 -0500
     There are a couple things you can check if it appears that the keying
     transistor is not being turned on.  If you're using a COM port, check
     the voltage between the base and emitter of the keying transistor,
     which should be in the range of 0.6 to 0.7 volts DC.  If its low, you
     can reduce the value of the 1K base resistor to turn the transistor on
     more fully.

     With an LPT port, you can make the same base-emitter voltage check.
     Also, check the voltage from LPT pin 1 to ground - this contributes to
     the minimum key down voltage measured in the first paragraph.  If its
     more than 0.5 VDC or so, I would suspect your LPT card is hosed.

     Many newer computers come with what are called "bidirectional" LPT
     ports.  I have no technical details on these ports, so I don't know if
     there are any issues which would preclude successful keying.  Anybody
     have any knowledge on this?

     Hope this helps - 73, Dave/K8CC