NA-User

[na-user] SS Exchange

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] SS Exchange
From: Bill Fisher - W4AN <w4an@contesting.com> (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 11:24:59 -0500 (EST)
There is nothing wrong with NA in regards to the exchange sequence.  It
makes perfect sense.

The only thing better would be if NA took the sequence in any order and
sorted it out for you.  For example...

I type:  77 K7SS WWA 77A

Now NA knows that since the first string$ has no alpha charactor and that
it is only 2 bytes long that it must be a check.  The second string$ gets
passed through the NA routine that checks callsign validity.  The third
string$ can be passed through  a check for section and it has no numeric
bytes.  The last ends with "A" and is preceded with a number.  Should be
pretty easy to check if this looks like a number/prec.

OK, I think we can agree that this is a better way of doing it?  But is
it worth a fundamental change in the software?  This is probably a major
rewrite of the code for Dave.  When you look at how often this issue
comes up, it just doesn't matter.  My thumbs are always on the space bar
and I can between fields pretty dog-gone fast.

73

Bill