NA-User

[na-user] Re: 10.24 bug - Bet It Ain't!

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Re: 10.24 bug - Bet It Ain't!
From: K4OJ@aol.com (K4OJ@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 08:37:41 -0500 (EST)
I have two computers at my house (not the station) ...

one of them is a 486 and the pther is a Mac Performa....

The Performa is great for doing what Mac is best for doing - graphics
stuff...when you take it into the DOS world, it comes up short...I have yet
to try and run ANY DOS program on the Performa and have it run right....

While it was sold as a looky looky you can have the best of both worlds, a
long time ago I gave up on the DOS side of the machine...

As far as NA...this looks like the third year running I will be putting a
score in the top ten boxes of SS CW...three years ago was 4th place single op
and last year, and hopefully this year are 1st place finishes in
multi-op....NA was used for these and many other finishes in the big boxes...

I use NA on 2 computers networked, during the past 3 years of SS succeSS U
have NEVER had it crash....and I thank K8CC and DATOM for making some quality
software that allows me NOT to worry about something I am a novice at,
computers!

Do yourself a favor...pick up a used DOS machine and make it your dedicated
contest computer, for the contests I have been using a 486 and a 386....you
can find used 386s for peanuts anymore..and 486s are well under 400 in this
market....

Stick with a DOS machine for your contesting...and make it a dedicated
computer, keep all those funky software and tsr thingies off of it - if you
wanna play a game, this shouldn't be the computer you play it on!

I do not dislike MACs, I love their ease of usage and have an old one on my
desk at work for doing spreadsheets and word processing - as well as the
occasional gag inter-office memo with graphics! This is great for the
MAC....when you wanna contest, get a DOS machine for NA or CT or TR
or.....you get my point.

73 - hope to cu in the ARRL 10

Jim, K4OJ